Jennean Reed is the founder of The Functional Fitness Baby Boomers and Beyond Exercise Club.
1. Can you tell us how The Functional Fitness Baby Boomers and Beyond Exercise Club came about — especially how the name of the group was decided?
Teresa Hilliard, our trainer, started the club about 15 years ago, we used to be called the Lansing Senior Red Hatters and Baby Boomers Exercise club, then we started getting younger ladies and gentlemen so Teresa changed the name.
2. How many members does the group have and is it open for new members?
There are about 30 of us and yes we get new members all the time. there is usually 19 to 25 at one time exercising.
3. Do members get together for regular exercise? And what sorts of workouts do they do?
Yes we exercise every Tuesday and Thursday at the Lansing Activity Center from 8:45 to 9:30 a.m. We do Cardio and Core conditioning and exercise, we work our whole body from head to toe, we work every major muscle in your body by using weights, resistance bands, body bars, and bench exercises. We do a lot of moving, dancing, and we do brain exercises, I don't think there is any part of our body we don't work on.
4. Your club just had their annual picnic. What other activities do club members participate in throughout the year?
We usually have one person pick someplace once a month to go eat, and we have our big annual Christmas party every year.
5. What's the best thing about being in The Functional Fitness Baby Boomers and Beyond Exercise Club?
I absolutely love it. I am going on my ninth year as a member, I love all the people I exercise with and our trainer Teresa — she is awesome and lets us work at our own pace,
I retired eight and a half years ago on Sept. 30 and started the club the following Tuesday and have gone ever since,
I very seldom miss a class.
I feel so much better, and I don't have a bunch of flab like some of my friends that are my age. It keeps me moving.
I reccomend exercise not only for seniors but for everyone, we range in age from the middle 50s to the oldest of 88.
— Rimsie McConiga