|
|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Sprinkler system extinguishes cooking fire

  • A Leavenworth Fire Department official says a fire at an apartment Monday night could have been a lot more serious if it hadn’t been for a sprinkler system.
    • email print
  • A Leavenworth Fire Department official says a fire at an apartment Monday night could have been a lot more serious if it hadn’t been for a sprinkler system.
    Water from the sprinklers extinguished the flames from a cooking fire at Abernathy Lofts, 200 Seneca St., before firefighters arrived. It also was reported that a woman who had fallen asleep in the apartment was awakened when the sprinklers went off, according to Assistant Fire Chief Mark Nietzke.
    “This is a good example of what a sprinkler system can do,” he said.
    The fire was reported at 9:30 p.m. Monday in apartment 220 at Abernathy Lofts. Nietzke said an occupant in the apartment apparently fell asleep while cooking. The fire damaged a microwave above the stove as well as nearby cabinets.
    The occupant was not injured. But someone else at the building reported having difficulty breathing. However, that person refused ambulance transport to the hospital.
    Nietzke said there was smoke on the second floor, which was evacuated. He said some people on the third and fourth floors had medical issues that made it difficult for them to evacuate, and they were allowed to remain in their apartments.
    “We went room-to-room to make sure everyone was OK,” he said.
    Nietzke said there was an estimated $30,000 worth of damage. He said there was water damage to the apartment that was the scene of the fire as well three other apartments.
    The local Red Cross provided temporary lodging to the occupant of apartment 220.

        calendar