Lady Spires knock off Tabor to clinch postseason spot; Saint Mary men lose to Tabor

The playoff scenario was simple for the University of Saint Mary women’s soccer team.
Win against Tabor University Tuesday and the Lady Spires clinched a spot in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament.
Lose and the season was over.
After a scoreless first half, the pressure of those realities reached new levels, especially after USM midfielder Laura Smith knocked in a Claire Beebe pass for the game’s first goal.
The intensity finally crescendo during the match’s final seconds when keeper Lindsay Davis and the Saint Mary defense repelled the Bluejays final, and best, scoring chances of the day.
Moments later the last whistle sounded, sending the Lady Spires into the postseason.
“I thought we played well through out,” USM coach Justin Seever said. “We knew we had to have the win and the girls gave a good team effort under that pressure.”
With the victory, Saint Mary finished the regular season with a 9-7-2 overall mark and 5-4 record in the KCAC.
Depending upon other conference results this week, the Spires could be ranked as high as No. 3 or as low as No. 5 entering next week’s tournament.
As far as for the game against Tabor, USM outshot its visitors 15-5. Davis recorded all five saves on the afternoon.
A full schedule for the KCAC playoffs will be released later this week.
“We played very cheeky and were aggressive for most of the game, which was nice,” Seever said. “Hopefully, we can keep that going.”

Spires fall in season finale
The University of Saint Mary men’s soccer team closed out its 2012 campaign in rough fashion Tuesday.
A 4-1 defeat at the hands of visiting Tabor marked the Spires third straight loss, putting the final touches on a disappointing season.  USM finished the year 5-13 overall and 2-7 in the KCAC.
Versus the Bluejays, an early goal had the Spires facing an uphill climb. Down 1-0 to start the second half, Nathan Eudaly tallied Saint Mary’s lone strike of the day. However, Tabor answered with a trio of goals to take the win.
Jeremy Herrman racked up 14 saves during the match for Saint Mary.