High carbon monoxide levels were found Saturday at a Leavenworth residence, a Fire Department spokesman said.

High carbon monoxide levels were found Saturday at a Leavenworth residence, a Fire Department spokesman said.

Fire Capt. Shawn Kell said a CO detector alerted people at the residence at 2005 Choctaw Street. Firefighters were contacted at 8:09 a.m. Saturday. The residents were waiting outside the home when firefighters arrived.

Kell said firefighters had carbon monoxide readings of 77 parts per million.

Leavenworth firefighters put on their self-contained breathing apparatuses for protection when they have CO readings of 35 parts per million or greater.

Kell said a technician from Kansas Gas Service also responded, and the scene eventually was turned over to that agency.