|
|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Fire District responds to chimney fires

  • Members of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 responded to two fires involving chimneys and fireplaces in one day, a fire department official said.
    • email print
  • Members of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 responded to two fires involving chimneys and fireplaces in one day, a fire department official said.
    No injuries were reported.
    The first fire was reported at 2:20 p.m. Saturday at 26381 187th St.
    A woman at this residence apparently had recently paid someone to clean her chimney. However, Rick Huhn, chief of Fire District No. 1, said it appears the person hired didn’t clean the chimney. The chief said the chimney looked as though it hadn’t been cleaned in years.
    He said a substance called creosote can build up in a chimney as a fireplace is used. That substance can catch on fire.
    “It’s just carbon ready to burn,” he said.
    Huhn said the fire on 187th Street was contained to the chimney but it caused smoke to fill up the house.
    The second fire was reported 10:40 p.m. Saturday at 825 Englewood St. in Lansing. Huhn said it appears someone had put too much wood in a fireplace. The fire got so hot it broke a glass door to the fireplace and smoke began to pour out of the fireplace.
      • calendar