Beverly A. Bednasek is the TOPS Kansas Coordinator.
1. Can you tell us about the Take Off Pounds Sensibly group and what they do?
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is the short name for TOPS Club, Inc., the original nonprofit, noncommercial network of weight-loss support groups. TOPS offers tools and programs for healthy living and weight management, with exceptional group fellowship and recognition.
TOPS' mission is to support our members as they take off and keep off pounds sensibly.
Almost 170,000 members (women, men, children) make up nearly 10,000 chapters worldwide. Weekly meetings include private weigh-ins and professionally prepared, informational chapter programs, featuring up-to-date information on nutrition, exercise and healthy life - styles. Programs provide positive reinforcement and motivation to adhere to food and exercise programs.
KOPS: (Keep Off Pounds Sensibly) Goal weight is set in consultation with a member's health- care professional. When TOPS members reach their weight-loss goal, they are called KOPS.
These members are maintaining their weight, continuing to attend chapter meetings for account- ability and support as they Keep Off Pounds Sensibly. About 25,000 of our members are keeping their weight off, and many have been recognized with Century Awards for losing over 100 pounds!
The local chapter meets on Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the St. Paul Lutheran Church, basement, 311 North 7th St., Leavenworth, Kan. If you have questions, please feel free to call Cindy at 816-858-4201. If you have further questions, or would like a new chapter time, call Beverly Bednasek, 316-755-1055.
2. How many support groups are there in Kansas and is there one in Leavenworth?
Over 175 groups in Kansas-Only one in Leavenworth and wanting to form other group there.
3. How much is a membership and what is included when someone signs up to be a member of TOPS? The cost for annual membership is $28. They receive a new member book, "My Day One" which is a "Ready. Set. Go Guide for Healthy Eating." Also, member receive a monthly "TOPS News" which has healthy articles, recipes, and inspirational messages and recognition type articles.
4. When and where are the meetings in Leavenworth and what is a typical meeting like?
There is a weekly weigh in, and a meeting, which includes, incentives for that weigh in loss, educational program and recognition and fun! Support is a relevant part of our groups.
5. Many people make it their New Year's resolution to lose weight. What would you advise people who ask you the best way to accomplish that goal?
- It would be to focus their goal to become healthier and make it important to them by doing the following:
- Set reasonable weekly goals of 1to 2 pounds.
- Always eat healthy breakfast such as cereal and fruit
- Reduce meal serving sizes for meats to 3 to 4 ounces
- Increase serving sizes of vegetables and fruits
- Incorporate healthy snacks into daily plan
- Reduce Soda consumption and increase water intake
- Limit fast food meals
- Use smaller plates at meal time
- Broil or grill food instead of frying
- Allow yourself to have a small treat periodically reduce craving
- Incorporate some exercise into daily plan. Walking is a good start.