|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Fire results in $100,000 in damage

  • A house fire this morning in Lansing resulted in an estimated $100,000 worth of damage, a fire department official said.
    • email print
  • A house fire this morning in Lansing resulted in an estimated $100,000 worth of damage, a fire department official said.
    The fire was reported at about 8:15 a.m. today at 312 Holiday Drive. One of the home's occupants suffered burns to his feet, but he refused medical treatment at the scene. A family pet, a cat, was killed in the fire, according to Rick Huhn, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1.
    He said the fire, which started in the living room, is still under investigation. But firefighters are preliminarily looking at smoking materials as a possible cause.
    Huhn said an occupant of the home was awakened by smoke detectors.
    "He did have working smoke detectors and they saved his life," Huhn said.
    The house was described as a one-story ranch style home with a basement.
    Huhn said flames could be seen coming from a front window area when firefighters arrived. He said firefighters had the fire under control in about 15 minutes.
    "We contained the fire itself to the living room," he said.
    But there was heat and smoke damage throughout the house.
    Ten members of Fire District No. 1 responded to the fire. Members of the Leavenworth Fire Department also responded to the scene. And members of the Fairmount Township Fire Department stood by at Fire District No. 1's station in Lansing.
        • »  EVENTS CALENDAR