A hawk caught fire after coming into contact with a high voltage power line Tuesday in Leavenworth. The bird fell to the ground, starting a grass fire, a Fire Department spokesman said.
Firefighters learned what happened after authorities received a report of the sound of an explosion. Leavenworth Assistant Fire Chief Mike Lingenfelser said the sound probably was the result of something that "blew" in the electrical equipment.
The incident was reported 2:20 p.m. Tuesday at in the area of Apache and Rose streets.
Lingenfelser said the grass fire was small. Firefighters used an extinguisher to put out the flames. The bird did not survive.