A man suffered burns to his hands while trying to put out a kitchen fire Thursday at a Leavenworth apartment, according to a Fire Department official.
The man, who also inhaled smoke, was treated at the scene by Leavenworth County EMS personnel. A family member transported him to the hospital for additional treatment, according to fire Capt. Shawn Kell.
The fire was reported at 11:10 p.m. Thursday at an apartment at 913 Brookside St.
The apartment's occupant apparently had started heating cooking oil. It boiled over, resulting in the fire.
"The occupant made several attempts to extinguish the fire," Kell said.
This is when he suffered the burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire was extinguished by members of the Leavenworth Fire Department.
Kell said flame and heat damage from the fire was limited to the kitchen area but there was moderate smoke damage elsewhere in the apartment. The fire is estimated to have caused $7,000 in damage.