Team: Pleasant Ridge baseball
Last year’s record: 6-13
Coach: Mike Koontz
Coach’s record: third year as head coach, overall record 14-24
* Nate Amos, sophomore catcher; hit .317 with 10 RBIs last year
* Sean Spurlock, junior first baseman/pitcher; hit .405 and seven RBIs in 2012
* Brad Yonts, junior third baseman/pitcher; was a .304 hitter with 20 RBIs and eight home runs last season
* Jason Simonis, junior outfielder; batted .476 plus 11 RBIs in 2012
* Logan McKinney, junior pitcher
Newcomers to watch:
* Jacob Rush, freshman
* Jared Schmalstieg, freshman
* Brennan Hollinger, freshman
Team Outlook: STRENGTHS ― Youth will be served by the Pleasant Ridge 2013 squad.
Yet, with a group of talented youngsters, the team returns a core of potent bats led by Brad Yonts, who spanked eight home runs last year.
WEAKNESSES ― Pitching and inexperience highlight the deficiencies of this year's Rams’ team.
The pitching staff is led by Spurlock and Yonts, but behind that depth will need to be developed.
In fact, experience across the roster is lacking and so youthful mistakes can be expected.
Big games: Versus Atchison April 1; At Immaculata April 22; Versus Maur Hill May 6
Coach says: “Very young team. It's going to be fun to watch us learn and grow in the game of baseball.
“May have numerous freshman at positions on the field. We are going to have to grow up quick and learn on the fly. A lot of positions are still up in the air.”