|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • No injuries reported in house fire

  • No injuries were reported as a result of a house fire Wednesday afternoon in Leavenworth, a Fire Department spokesman said.
    • email print
  • No injuries were reported as a result of a house fire Wednesday afternoon in Leavenworth, a Fire Department spokesman said.
    The fire was reported around 3:10 p.m. Wednesday at 415 Maple St. Acting Fire Chief Mark Nietzke believes two people were at the residence at the time of the fire.
    "They got out on their own," he said.
    He said the fire started in the area of a deck in the back of the house.
    "It looks like was a discarded cigarette," Nietzke said of the cause.
    He said an ashtray was located next to the home's vinyl siding. The fire burned up the side of the house and into eaves. The fire spread into the attic area and a kitchen.
    Nietzke estimated that it took firefighters about 25 minutes to extinguish the fire.
    He said the local Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the residents of the home.
        • »  EVENTS CALENDAR