A Lansing medical office where people have reported smelling a strange odor and experiencing health problems was evacuated Friday and officials were investigating the issue, a fire department spokesman said.
There was no immediate word late Friday afternoon if the source of the problems at the Associates in Family Health Care building, 712 First Terrace, had been discovered. Lt. Dave Asmus with Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 said officials from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and a private environmental company were investigating.
"We shut the building down (Friday) morning," Asmus said.
Firefighters first received reports of an odor and people experiencing health problems Wednesday. Members of the Fire District No. 1 and the Leavenworth Fire Department responded.
But the firefighters were unable to find anything on their instruments, according Rick Huhn, chief of Fire District No. 1.
Members of Fire District No. 1 returned to the building Thursday, and again there was a report of a person feeling ill, Huhn said.
At that time, firefighters thought the problem may have been related to an air-conditioning unit.
Asmus said the unit was later worked on. But many employees at the building reported having flu-like symptoms Friday, and some said they could smell an odor.
"We really couldn't smell anything when we got there," Asmus said.
He said members of Fire District No. 1 again were unable to find anything on their instruments.
The building was closed and everyone was sent home.
A recorded message on the phone system for Associates in Family Health Care indicated the office would be closed Friday and Saturday because of a problem with the building.