Leavenworth softball searching for right mix
- Lentz is most excited about combining a deep group of returning players with a fresh core of newcomers.
Team: Leavenworth softball
Last year’s record: 1-21
Coach: Christy Lentz
* senior Anna Henderson, catcher
* senior Mariah Marfield, outfielder
* junior Layne Broeker, pitcher
* junior Makayla Foskett, shortstop/outfielder
Newcomers to watch:
* freshman Anastasia Lucas, outfielder/catcher
* sophomore Meagan McLain, infielder
Team Outlook: STRENGTH — Lentz is most excited about combining a deep group of returning players with a fresh core of newcomers.
“We have a strong group of returning players and a good group of newcomers who are focused and committed to our team goals,” the LV coach said.
WEAKNESSES — Developing on-field chemistry between the new faces and upperclass veterans may be the biggest obstacle in front of the squad early in the year.
Big games: Versus Olathe on April 15; At Olathe East April 16; Versus Shawnee Mission South April 30
Coach says: “The players have been working hard during the offseason and during the first few weeks of practice.
“Daily the team talks about having consistent play and continually working hard no matter what situation we are put in.
“The coaching staff and girls are looking forward to our home opener on Tuesday at 4:15 against Shawnee Mission South. Come out and support.”