|
|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Clinic re-opens after reports of odor, health problems

  • A Lansing medical office that was closed Friday because of continuing reports of a strange odor and people suffering from various health problems has re-opened, a fire department official said.
    • email print
      Comment
  • A Lansing medical office that was closed Friday because of continuing reports of a strange odor and people suffering from various health problems has re-opened, a fire department official said.
    Associates In Family Health Care, 712 First Terrace, was evacuated and closed Friday because of continuing complaints about an odor and employees having health issues.
    Rick Huhn, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1, said firefighters who responded to the clinic had been unable to detect anything on their instruments. He said a private environmental company that was called to the building also apparently was unable to find anything.
    Huhn said the problem may have been the result of a burned up blower motor in an air handling system. He said this may have been responsible for a "burnt electrical" odor in the building.
    Huhn said the damaged motor is supposed to be replaced.
    It wasn't clear Monday if the motor already had been replaced.
    The clinic apparently leases the space. A call to a building management representative was not immediately returned Monday afternoon.
    Firefighters first received reports of an odor and people experiencing health problems Wednesday. Members of the Fire District No. 1 and the Leavenworth Fire Department responded. But the firefighters were unable to find anything on their instruments, according to Huhn.
    Members of Fire District No. 1 returned to the building Thursday, and again there was a report of a person feeling ill. At that time, it was thought there may have been a problem with the air handling system, Huhn said.
    Additional problems were reported Friday, and the office was closed.
    Huhn said the damaged motor apparently was still too hot to touch Friday.
    Fire District No. 1officials said they didn't receive any calls to the building Monday.

        calendar