Fort Leavenworth will induct two distinguished public servants into its Hall of Fame at 9 a.m May 2 at the Lewis and Clark Center. The event is open to the public.
The inductees are Judge Arthur J. Stanley and retired Lt. Gen. Dave Palmer.
Lt. Gen. David G. Perkins, commanding general of the Combined Arms Center and Fort Leavenworth, will officiate the induction ceremony.
Stanley was born in 1901 on the Kansas family homestead. He enlisted in the Army at 17 and served in the 7th Cavalry. He rose to the rank of sergeant, helped chase Poncho Villa’s forces back into Mexico, and participated in one of the Army’s last horse-mounted cavalry charges. Returning home, he completed high school and enrolled in law school but adventure called again. He enlisted in the Navy and served on a Yangtze River gunboat in China. He later received an Army commission, finished law school and served on active duty at Fort Leavenworth. He was elected Wyandotte County Attorney in 1934 and Kansas State Senator in 1940. In 1941, Stanley was recalled to active duty and assigned to the Army Air Corps. At age 43, Stanley landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day+2. In November 1944, he separated as a lieutenant colonel and returned to his Kansas law practice. In 1958, Stanley was nominated by President Eisenhower to be judge for the U. S. District of Kansas. He worked many cases from the U. S. Disciplinary Barracks, including some involving highly classified material. He took senior status from the bench, but continued hearing cases, and moved to Leavenworth where he was instrumental in founding the Frontier Army Museum, donating artifacts and books to its collection. He was the CGSC Omar Bradley lecturer 1982-83, helped found the Fort Leavenworth Hall of Fame, and wrote an acclaimed history of the fort. Stanley and his wife are buried at the Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery.
Palmer graduated from West Point in 1956. In 1963 and 1964, he was aide to the commander of the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, covering the transition between Gens. Paul D. Harkins and William Westmorland. After completing Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Palmer completed a master's degree at Duke University then served as an assistant professor at West Point. There, he published a history of West Point, “The River and the Rock.” Promoted to lieutenant colonel, he commanded 2nd Battalion, 33rd Armored Regiment in Germany then served as staff advisor to the Vietnamese National Military Academy. Palmer graduated from the War College in 1973 and published, “The Way of the Fox,” a study of strategy in the American Revolution. He commanded the 1st Brigade, 2nd Armored Division and served as Corps G-3 at Fort Hood. In 1978, he published “The Summons of the Trumpet” his acclaimed study of the Vietnam War. In 1983, he became deputy commandant of CGSC where he championed small group instruction, helped re-implement the historical staff ride methodology, and led the college through re-accreditation. Palmer commanded the 1st Armored Division and finally served as the 53rd superintendent of the United States Military Academy where he focused on developing leaders of character and fitness. After retirement, he took his expertise in education and leadership to Walden University where he helped focus the school on mid-career adults through pioneering work in distance education. He continued his own scholarship, publishing several more works on American military history and established himself as an expert on the importance of character in leadership.
Page 2 of 2 - The Fort Leavenworth Hall of Fame was established in 1969 by the Henry Leavenworth Chapter of the Association of the U.S. Army and the Fort Leavenworth Command to honor outstanding military and civilian leaders who served at Fort Leavenworth and made significant contributions to the achievement, tradition or history of the fort and the armed forces of the United States or the Provisional Army of the Confederate States. Plaques honoring each of the hall’s 102 members are displayed in the Upper Atrium of the Lewis and Clark Center.