|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Restaurant damaged in fire

  • A Leavenworth restaurant was damaged in a fire Thursday night, a Fire Department official said.
    • email print
  • A Leavenworth restaurant was damaged in a fire Thursday night, a Fire Department official said.
    The fire was reported at 11:23 p.m. Thursday at Metropolitan Steak House, 1501 Metropolitan Ave.
    Capt. Shawn Kell with the Leavenworth Fire Department said the fire began in the back deck area of the restaurant. He said the fire breached through a portion of an exterior wall into the building.
    "So we had some fire extension in there," Kell said of the interior of the structure.
    Members of the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department and Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 were called to assist Leavenworth Fire Department crews at the scene.
    Kell said firefighters "knocked down" the fire within 30 or 40 minutes
    "They got it knocked down pretty quickly," he said.
    But firefighters then looked for what Kell called hot spots. He said there were a couple of areas of the building where firefighters had to pull down ceiling to get to hot spots.
    The restaurant already had closed for the night and no one was in the building when the fire was reported. No injuries were reported.
    Kell said an alarm system initially alerted dispatchers about the fire. Several passersby also called 911.
    He said the blaze is estimated to have caused at least $50,000 worth of damage to the building and $20,000 to the contents.
    The Kansas State Fire Marshal's Office was called to help with the investigation.
    Kell said the fire may have been caused by smoking materials.
    "It's pointing toward that," he said.
        • »  EVENTS CALENDAR