|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Resident taken to hospital after apartment fire

  • A man was taken to the hospital after a fire was discovered in his Leavenworth apartment over the weekend, a Fire Department official said.
    • email print
  • A man was taken to the hospital after a fire was discovered in his Leavenworth apartment over the weekend, a Fire Department official said.
    The fire was reported at 11:53 p.m. Saturday at an apartment complex at 605 Cheyenne St.
    Acting Fire Chief Mark Nietzke said the fire was reported by neighbors. Another resident from the complex apparently smelled the smoke when returning from a store.
    Neighbors reportedly started beating on the door of the apartment in an attempt to alert the occupant.
    Nietzke said Leavenworth police officers were evacuating the building when firefighters arrived.
    As firefighters approached the apartment door, they could see smoke. The door was locked.
    "We had to force entry to get in," Nietzke said.
    A crew entered the apartment with a hose and extinguished the fire, which was in the kitchen. Two other firefighters searched the apartment. The occupant was found in a bedroom.
    "He was unconscious at the time we found him," Nietzke said.
    The chief said the man likely was suffering from smoke inhalation. Leavenworth County EMS transported the man to the hospital. Nietzke did not know the man's condition.
    The fire was contained to the area around a stove. Nietzke said something had been left on the stove, resulting in the fire.
    He said it took firefighters only about five minutes to extinguish the flames.
    "There was a lot of smoke," he said.
    Nietzke said there was a smoke detector in the apartment but it apparently failed to operate. Firefighters were not able to determine the reason for the failure.
        • »  EVENTS CALENDAR