The Leavenworth Public Schools are fortunate to have a dedicated group of teachers and educators who work tirelessly each day to ensure the district is achieving its mission of ensuring high levels of learning for all students. This week, Teacher Appreciation Week, we take a moment to recognize those who do so much for the students of Leavenworth and thank them for their service.
There is one special group of teachers to recognize this week, and those are the teachers who will retire at the end of this school year after countless years of service to USD 453. Together this group of educators has 190 years of service to the Leavenworth School District. We thank the following dedicated teachers for their commitment to our students:
- David Black, JROTC instructor at Leavenworth High School – eight years in USD 453.
- Pamela Bristow, 1st grade teacher at Anthony Elementary School – 14 years in USD 453.
- Paula Darling, kindergarten teacher at David Brewer Elementary School – 28 years in USD 453.
- Linda Herrman, interventionist at David Brewer Elementary School – 28 years in USD 453.
- Janet Hanson, business teacher at Leavenworth High School – 29 years in USD 453.
- Pamela Jordan, gifted teacher with the Leavenworth County Special Education Cooperative – 21 years in USD 453.
- Janet Lampe – adaptive teacher with the Leavenworth County Special Education Cooperative – 11 years in USD 453.
- Mary Jo Lewis – music Teacher at David Brewer Elementary School – five years in USD 453.
- Teresa Mustain, speech language pathologist with the Leavenworth County Special Education Cooperative – 27 years in USD 453.
- Deborah Reilly, math teacher at Warren Middle School – 29 years in USD 453.
With so many cumulative years of experience, it's no doubt these teachers have many wise words to share about their years in education. The following are reflections from some of the USD 453 retirees.
"My youngest daughter was in the first eighth grade class that combined West and Warren. That group of students entered LHS the next year as friends instead of rivals and continue to be excellent leaders, and next year's senior class." – Debbie Reilly
"I have a special fondness for David Brewer since all three of my boys attended there. The room I teach in currently was the kindergarten room of two of my boys. My memory of Brewer is a loving, caring place for both children and staff. I have loved the people I have been blessed to work with." – Paula Darling
"When you work with preschool kids, not a day goes by that you don't laugh. I will always remember the relationships I built with my students even though most of them were too young to remember me." –Teresa Mustain
We thank these special people, as well as all the wonderful educators of Leavenworth who commit so much time and energy to making our students the best they can be.
Page 2 of 2 - Please join us in showing your gratitude to our teachers, not just during Teacher Appreciation Week but all year round, for everything they do.
Submitted by the Leavenworth School District.