It was a top-three type of day for the Lansing track and field teams on Wednesday.
Competing in the Kaw Valley League meet, the Lion squads battled deep into the night to walk away runner-ups in the girls' division and third in the boys' bracket.
“We had some kids step up and perform really well,” Lansing coach Brian Malm said. “They put themselves in some good places heading into regionals.”
Notable results for the Lady Lions were:
* Nashia Baker; first in 3,200 meters (broke league record), first in 1,600 meters (broke league record) and first in 800 meters
* Malika Baker; first in 400 meters, second in 1,600 and second in 800 meters
* Savannah Baker; third in triple jump
* Desiree Harvey; first in shot put
The girls' 4x400 relay team won gold also while the 4x100 relay earned bronze.
The Lansing boys' highlights included:
* Darius Mathis; first in triple jump, second in high jump
* Jimmy Bormolini; first in 200 meters; second in 100 meters
* JT Hager; first in 400 meters
* Will Morrison; fifth in pole vault
* Joe Henry; fifth in long jump, third in 100 meters
The Lions 4x800 and 4x100 relay teams each placed second. Lansing's regional meet is a week from today in Topeka.