While trying to repair a water main break Thursday morning, a crew from the Leavenworth Water Department ended up breaking a natural gas line, officials said.
"We hate to hit those things," said John Kaufman, general manager of the Leavenworth Water Department, but it happens once in a while by accident.
Kaufman blamed Thursday's break on the location of the gas line being incorrectly marked.
He said the water main break was reported around 3 a.m. Thursday in the area of Grand Avenue and 14th Street. He said the break was in a six-inch water pipe.
He said the marked location of the two-inch gas main was off by about five feet.
"We cut right through it," Kaufman said.
He said the Leavenworth Fire Department immediately was contacted.
Kansas Gas Service personnel also were called to the scene to deal with the gas leak.
Kaufman said the Water Department crew didn't resume work until the gas leak had been stopped.
He said the work to repair the water main was completed around 9 a.m. Thursday.
Kansas Gas Service personnel finished all of their repairs around 10 a.m., according to company spokeswoman Dawn Ewing.