|
|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Firefighters respond to theater

  • Firefighters responded to the old Hollywood Theater Tuesday evening in downtown Leavenworth. But what was thought to have been smoke turned out to be steam, according to a Fire Department official.
    • email print
  • Firefighters responded to the old Hollywood Theater Tuesday evening in downtown Leavenworth. But what was thought to have been smoke turned out to be steam, according to a Fire Department official.
    The call came in around 6 p.m. Tuesday at the theater, which is now called the Performing Arts Center, 500 Delaware St.
    Refrigerant leaked from an air-conditioning unit. It dripped onto a compressor, which was hot. This produced steam, according to Battalion Chief Bill McKeel with the Leavenworth Fire Department.
    He said people showed up at the theater for rehearsal. When they opened the doors, they saw what they thought was smoke.
    McKeel said there was no fire in the building.
    "It was just steam," he said.
      • calendar