|
|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Fire destroys home

  • A house is believed to be a total loss after a fire this weekend in Leavenworth. The residents were not home at the time of the fire but a pet dog was killed, Fire Department officials said.
    • email print
      Comment
  • A house is believed to be a total loss after a fire this weekend in Leavenworth. The residents were not home at the time of the fire but a pet dog was killed, Fire Department officials said.
    The fire was reported shortly before 1:30 p.m. Saturday at 1917 Pine Ridge Drive.
    Acting Fire Chief Mark Nietzke said the fire was reported by a neighbor.
    "I think it had been burning for a while," Nietzke said.
    He said smoke and fire could be seen coming from the back side of the two-story home when firefighters arrived on the scene.
    "And there was heavy smoke on the front side," he said.
    The first crew that arrived attempted to enter the home but ended up pulling out of the structure.
    "We pretty much took a defensive mode," Nietkze said.
    He said the fire apparently started in the kitchen and may have been the result of an electrical issue. He said the fire spread to throughout the house.
    "It gutted the place," he said.
    Portions of the roof collapsed during the blaze.
    In addition to members of the Leavenworth Fire Department, firefighters from Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 and the Kickapoo Township Fire Department were called to the scene. Members of the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department stood by at one of the city's stations to answer other calls in Leavenworth.
    Nietzke said there was a fire hydrant in the area, which was used. But firefighters also set up a portable tank system at the scene for more water.
    "We just needed as much water as we could get," he said.
    Nietzke said it took a "good hour" for firefighters to get the blaze under control. He said firefighters continued to fight "hot spots" for hours.
    The local Red Cross responded to the scene and provided water and food to the firefighters.
    Nietzke said some contents may be saved, but the home is a total loss.

        calendar