Dr. AK Tayiem is the owner of the new Taco John's restaurant in Lansing. He also owns IHOP in Lansing.
1. Taco John's was a popular restaurant in Leavenworth for many years. Why did it close and why did you decide to reopen it in August?
Different businesses close for different reasons, but we knew that Taco John's has been missed by this community ever since it closed many years ago.
My partners and I agreed that the craving for Taco John's was worth looking into, and decided to bring it back to the community.
Frankly, our beloved community deserves the best and that is what we strive to do every day.
2. What is your background in the restaurant business and why did you decide to get into this line of work?
I have had numerous years of experience in the restaurant business, with IHOP specifically.
One of my partners is very experienced in the restaurant business as well. It is great to be able to offer food services and see the satisfaction on our customers' faces after they eat our made-fresh orders.
3. Do you have plans for opening any other businesses in the area and would you consider something outside the food business?
Our attitude is never say never.
So, if the right opportunity arises, we will definitely take a look at it. With that said, we are hoping to increase the number of Taco John's locations in the future.
4. Why do you think Taco Johns has always been so popular here and how is it different from other Mexican restaurants?
Taco John's has been a staple in the West-Mex fast food industry and successful in the industry, as a whole, because we offer bold flavors, exclusive items with its copyrighted seasonings, and freshly made orders (never pre-made items!).
Furthermore, we are extremely proud of our high quality, 80/20, taco meat!
Customers can customize their orders, and top it off with our fresh salsa bar.
Of course, we also strive for excellence in our customer service, providing ambience with our warm interior design, flatscreen TV with cable, and soothing music throughout the dining area (customers have especially enjoyed watching all the big games on our TV, while savoring the delicious servings we offer).
5. What's the best thing about operating a business in the Leavenworth-Lansing area?
The Leavenworth-Lansing area has been our home and home community since 1992, and we absolutely love it here.
It is a tight-knit and supportive community, and they have been very receptive of us, very patient and understanding with us since we are a new establishment.
We have been and will continue to reward the community with special offers, fundraisers, and other events.
Page 2 of 2 - — Rimsie McConiga