Morena and Andy are the co-owners of Luigi's at 700 Cherokee St. in downtown Leavenworth. They will open a new coffee shop on Friday next door to the restaurant.
1. Can you tell us about your new coffee house next door to Luigi's? What is the name of the establishment, when will it be open and will any food be served?
We are adding a cafe next door to Luigi's, which is in its fourth year of operation in downtown Leavenworth. The grand opening will be Friday. We will serve sandwiches and breakfast dishes.
There will be European cold-cuts and pastries. We will specialize in our coffee creations. We will also serve alcohol. It will be a bistro-type coffee shop. We will be open from 6 a.m. to very late at night.
2. Was the popularity of Luigi's in the local area the reason why you decided to open the coffee house and will the new establishment offer any types of music or entertainment?
Yes it was one of the reasons and we also wanted to create a comfortable place to go and sit down and have a nice time, like a real European coffee shop. We wanted to give locals a place where they can enjoy coffees, pastries and cocktails in a comfortable but contemporary environment with a nice ambience.
We will also offer live music at times.
3. What sort of environment are you striving to create at the coffee shop? Will it be a place where people can bring their laptops and books and relax and read or study with a cup of coffee?
We want to create an environment where people can sit and relax and talk, read or utilize the wifi we will be offering and not be hurried.
4. What sort of coffee choices will be available and will there be authentic Italian styles of coffee? How is Italian coffee different from other coffees?
The coffee choices will include espresso, cappuccino, latte, macchiato and many others.
All authentic Italian coffees. Italian coffee is made with a different grind from other coffees and it is stronger and more flavorful. Italian coffee doesn't affect the stomach in a bad way like many other coffees do.
5. What is the best thing about operating a business in downtown Leavenworth?
We love to accommodate the wonderful people of Leavenworth and the surrounding area and we offer authentic Italian specialties without having to drive into Kansas City.
— Rimsie McConiga