A Leavenworth home sustained major damage from a cooking fire Sunday morning after a woman fell outside her home and was unable to return to her kitchen, a Leavenworth Fire Department spokesman said.
The fire was reported by a neighbor at 6:42 a.m. at 808 W. Seventh St.
When firefighters arrived, heavy flames could be seen coming from the back side of the house, and the fire already had burned through the roof, Leavenworth Assistant Fire Chief Mike Lingenfelser said.
He said the woman apparently had been cooking, but went outside to retrieve mail.
"She planned on coming right back," Lingenfelser said.
But, she was injured when she slipped on ice.
"The food that was on the stove caught fire," Lingenfelser said
He said the fire burned through a vent pipe for the stove, spreading to the attic area.
Lingenfesler said the fire may have been burning for as long as two hours before it was reported to the Fire Department.
The woman was taken to the hospital for injuries she suffered during the fall. She was not injured in the fire.
Lingenfelser said the call came in shortly before a shift change for the Fire Department.
"We had extra personnel at the station," he said.
Firefighters from the outgoing and incoming shifts responded to the fire.
Lingenfelser said 25 people responded to the fire, which is about half of the Fire Department.
All of the Fire Department's units were tied up at the scene, so members of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 were asked to stand by in Lansing in case they were needed in Leavenworth.
Leavenworth firefighters remained on the scene of the fire until 9:15 a.m. Sunday.
Lingenfelser said the value of the house was estimated to be $125,000. The fire caused an estimated $120,000 worth of damage to the house and an additional $25,000 in damage to the home's contents.
"The roof is pretty much gone," Lingenfelser said of the house.