|
|
|
|
The Leavenworth Times - Leavenworth, KS
  • Smoking blamed for apartment fire

  • Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of a fire early this morning at a Leavenworth apartment building, a Fire Department spokesman said.
    • email print
      Comment
  • Careless smoking is believed to be the cause of a fire early this morning at a Leavenworth apartment building, a Fire Department spokesman said.
    The fire was reported at 2:01 a.m. at Cody Plaza Apartments, 111 Shawnee St.
    "It came in as a fire alarm going off," Leavenworth Assistant Fire Chief Mike Lingenfelser said.
    When firefighters arrived on the scene, a woman who lives on the fifth floor told them there was a fire in her bedroom. The woman later transported herself to the hospital for treatment, Lingenfelser said.
    Firefighters went to the woman's apartment and removed a smoldering mattress. They used fire extinguishers to put out the fire, Lingenfelser said.
    Lingenfelser said the fire originated in the bedroom.
    "It appears to have started at the foot of the bed along the baseboard," he said.
    He said other rooms in the apartment also had heat and smoke damage.
    The fire caused an estimated $12,000 in damage to the building and contents.
    Lingenfelser said firefighters extinguished the fire quickly, but remained on the scene "for quite some time."
    He said removing smoke from the building and accounting for people took time.
    Firefighters didn't clear the scene until 4:41 a.m.

        calendar