Two Leavenworth residences were evacuated early Tuesday morning because of a gas leak, a Fire Department official said.

Two Leavenworth residences were evacuated early Tuesday morning because of a gas leak, a Fire Department official said.

The incident was reported at 4:42 a.m. at Fourth and Kickapoo streets.

Deputy Fire Chief Mike Shore said a gas line apparently was struck while a water main break was being repaired. Two residences that were in close proximity were evacuated.

Kansas Gas Service responded and addressed the gas leak without further incident, Shore said.