Leavenworth city commissioners took another step Tuesday toward increasing the compensation they receive from the city.

Leavenworth city commissioners took another step Tuesday toward increasing the compensation they receive from the city.

Commissioners reached a consensus to advance a proposed ordinance that will increase each of their salaries by $100 per month. The ordinance will be brought back to the commission Dec. 12 for a final vote.

Commissioners also voted Tuesday to approve a bid to stabilize the north bank of Three Mile Creek between Second and Esplanade streets.

Currently, most members of the City Commission are paid $400 per month in compensation from the city. The mayor, who is one of the five commissioners, is paid $500 per month.

The pay increase would raise the mayor’s salary from $6,000 per year to $7,200 per year. The salary for the other commissioners would be raised from $4,800 per year to $6,000 per year.

“This is included in next year’s budget,” City Manager Paul Kramer said.

Commissioners OK’d the allocation for the pay raises when they approved the city’s 2018 budget this summer. But Kramer said the salaries are set by ordinance, and the new ordinance is needed to enact the pay raise.

If approved, the pay increase would take effect for the first pay period of 2018.

The pay raise was proposed in July by Commissioner Larry Dedeke. At the time, he said the salaries for commissioners had not been increased since 2004.

The proposed ordinance also includes language for a $50 per month technology allowance for each commissioner.

In the past, the city has compensated commissioners for internet service upon request. Kramer said the compensation was based on the base cost for an old Road Runner internet service. He said this practice would be replaced by the new $50 per month technology allowance.

Kramer said the city also furnishes a commissioner with a tablet or laptop computer upon request.

Commissioner Lisa Weakley said she had argued against the pay increase earlier this year. But Weakley said she has changed her mind after the city manager added in the cleanup language for the technology allowance practice.

Commissioners approved a $332,821 bid for the Three Mile Creek bank stabilization project. The bid was submitted by Leavenworth Excavating & Equipment Company, or Lexeco as it is commonly called.

This was the lowest of three bids submitted for the project.

The project will address erosion that is occurring on property owned by OneGas, which is the parent company of Kansas Gas Service.

OneGas will pay for 65 percent of the construction costs. The city will be responsible for the remaining 35 percent.

This means the city will pay $116,488 of the $332,821 construction bid from Lexeco.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR