On a day when a red flag had been issued because of a high fire danger, a grass fire broke out in Leavenworth County after someone attempted to burn trash in a barrel, the director of Leavenworth County Emergency Management said.

On a day when a red flag had been issued because of a high fire danger, a grass fire broke out in Leavenworth County after someone attempted to burn trash in a barrel, the director of Leavenworth County Emergency Management said.

The fire was reported at 11:07 a.m. Monday at 243rd Street and Kansas 92 Highway. The fire burned across about 10 acres. No injuries were reported.

A red flag warning was in place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday for Leavenworth County and surrounding counties. The issuance of the red flag warning meant that critical fire weather conditions existed, according to the National Weather Service.

Leavenworth County Emergency Management Director Chuck Magaha said low humidity and strong winds helped elevate the risk of fire Monday.

Magaha said winds reached between 30 and 35 mph at the scene of the fire.

"That moves fire pretty quick," he said.

Three fire departments responded to the scene. Three additional departments were called, but their members were told they could turn around before they reached the scene.

Magaha said other grass fires were reported in surrounding counties Monday.

"Everybody is chasing grass fires," he said.

Magaha said there should be no burning when conditions are as bad as they were Monday. He said people also should be careful with their cigarettes.

Magaha said a red flag warning likely will not be issued for today. But without any precipitation in the forecast, vegetation in Leavenworth County will remain very dry.

"It's like a tinderbox out there," Magaha said.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR