A woman was taken to the hospital after a fire ignited in her Leavenworth apartment, a Fire Department spokesman said.

A woman was taken to the hospital after a fire ignited in her Leavenworth apartment, a Fire Department spokesman said.

The fire was reported at 1:42 a.m. Monday at a duplex apartment at 220 Miami St.

Andy Brooks, a battalion chief for the Leavenworth Fire Department, said emergency officials initially received a report of a medical alert at that location.

A Leavenworth police officer who responded reported seeing smoke coming from the residence. The officer could hear someone inside the apartment but was unable to get to the person. After arriving, firefighters were able to rescue the woman, Brooks said.

Brooks said firefighters believe the woman's outlook is good. No other injuries were reported.

Brooks said firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly. The fire is still under investigation, but firefighters believe it started in a bedroom.