A grass burned across about 200 acres this weekend before it was extinguished near Basehor, an emergency management official said.

A grass burned across about 200 acres this weekend before it was extinguished near Basehor, an emergency management official said.

The fire was reported at about 2 p.m. Saturday in the area of 163rd Street and Leavenworth Road. No injuries were reported.

"It was a fast moving fire," said Chuck Magaha, director of Leavenworth County Emergency Management.

Magaha also is the chief of the Fairmount Township Fire Department, which responded to the grass fire.

He said firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading into Basehor.

"We got it stopped right at the city limits," he said.

He said no structures were lost in the fire, but a flatbed trailer was destroyed.

Firefighters from the Fairmount Township Fire Department, Stranger Township Fire Department and Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 responded.

Magaha said firefighters were at the scene for about 3.5 hours.

The fire is believed to have started by accident as someone was burning in a barrel.

Magaha said the person using the burn barrel was following safety precautions but it still sparked the grass fire.

"The guy was doing everything right," Magaha said.

Magaha said grass in the area is so dry right now that it acts like gasoline.

He said several other grass fires were reported during the weekend in Leavenworth County.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR