No injuries were reported following a Leavenworth apartment fire sparked by a space heater, a Fire Department official said.

No injuries were reported following a Leavenworth apartment fire sparked by a space heater, a Fire Department official said.

The fire was reported at 11:54 p.m. Tuesday at 501 N. Seventh St. Mark DeMaranville, division chief of prevention for the Leavenworth Fire Department, said a blanket, chair and section of carpet were damaged in the fire.

“The damage was not extensive at all,” he said.

DeMaranville said firefighters believe the blanket was the first item to catch fire because it was too close to a space heater.

DeMaranville said he does not recommend using space heaters. But if people need to use a space heater, it is important to keep combustible materials away from the heater. DeMaranville said people also should not leave space heaters unattended while they are in use.