A fire that destroyed a house early Tuesday morning in Lansing is being blamed on a problem with an extension cord, according to a fire department official.

A fire that destroyed a house early Tuesday morning in Lansing is being blamed on a problem with an extension cord, according to a fire department official.

The fire was reported at 3:52 a.m. at 608 N. Second St. in Lansing.

Rick Huhn, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1, said a resident was inside the house at the time the fire started. The man was able to make it safely out of the home. The man was able to get one of his three dogs out of the house. The other two dogs were killed in the fire.

Huhn said the house is a total loss.

“The roof collapsed right after I got there,” Huhn said.

The chief described the house as a doublewide modular home with a basement. The fire started in the area of the home's back porch.

Members of the Leavenworth Fire Department provided assistance to Fire District No. 1 at the scene of the fire.

No firefighters were injured.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 6:15 a.m. Members of Fire District No. 1 returned later in the morning to investigate the cause.

Huhn said the cause is believed to be an electrical problem stemming from an old extension cord that was being used in the back porch area.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR