A fire at a Leavenworth home remains under investigation, a Fire Department official said.

A fire at a Leavenworth home remains under investigation, a Fire Department official said.

The fire was reported at 7:19 p.m. Thursday at 1116 Spruce St. A pet rabbit was killed in the fire.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, they could see smoke and flames coming from the house, said Mark DeMaranville, division chief of prevention for the Leavenworth Fire Department.

The fire was in the kitchen area of the house.

"The occupants had evacuated the residence," DeMaranville said.

He said firefighters had the fire under control in about 10 minutes. Firefighters rescued a dog and cat from the residence, but the rabbit was killed.

Members of the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department provided assistance to the Leavenworth Fire Department at the scene.

DeMaranville said the fire resulted in an estimated $50,000 in damage.

He said the Red Cross provided assistance to the occupants who were displaced by the fire.