A fire at a rural Lansing home is being blamed on an electrical problem, a fire department official said.

A fire at a rural Lansing home is being blamed on an electrical problem, a fire department official said.

The fire was reported at 8:49 a.m. Thursday on Tontine Road.

Rick Huhn, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1, said an alarm company apparently notified a homeowner that smoke detectors were going off at the house. The homeowner, who was not at home at the time, called Fire District No. 1.

When firefighters arrived, flames could be seen coming from the basement of the home.

Huhn said the fire started in a basement bedroom.

"It spread to the bedroom above it," Huhn said.

In addition to members of Fire District No. 1, firefighters from the Leavenworth Fire Department and Fairmount Township Fire Department helped battle the blaze. Members of the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department stood by at Fire District No. 1's Lansing station to respond to additional calls.

Huhn said firefighters had the blaze under control within about 45 minutes. Three pets were killed in the fire.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR