A Lansing nursing home was evacuated Wednesday because of a carbon monoxide leak, a fire department official said.

A Lansing nursing home was evacuated Wednesday because of a carbon monoxide leak, a fire department official said.

People at Lansing Care & Rehabilitation Center, 210 Plaza Drive, eventually were allowed to go back inside the building after it was determined to be safe.

The incident was reported around 9 a.m. Rick Huhn, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1, said an alarm had sounded in the building.

When firefighters arrived, they recorded a carbon monoxide level of more than 60 parts per million.

The building was evacuated and the Leavenworth County Health Department, Emergency Management and EMS were contacted.

Huhn said it was determined that a water heater was the source of the carbon monoxide leak.