A maintenance man suffered smoke inhalation during a fire over the weekend at a Leavenworth apartment building, a fire department spokesman said.

A maintenance man suffered smoke inhalation during a fire over the weekend at a Leavenworth apartment building, a fire department spokesman said.

The fire was reported at 8:06 p.m. Saturday at 3530 Apartment B Wilson Ave.

The maintenance man was in a neighboring apartment because of a broken water line. He smelled smoke and discovered the fire, according to Mark DeMaranville, division chief of prevention for the Leavenworth Fire Department.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they could see smoke coming from Apartment B. DeMaranville said the fire was quickly extinguished.

The maintenance man was released from the hospital after being treated for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

The fire resulted in an estimated $25,000 in damage. Apartment B was vacant at the time of the fire. But the fire displaced residents of the building’s three other apartments, DeMaranville said.

Firefighters believe the fire may have been caused by a lightning strike.

“But we haven’t confirmed that,” DeMaranville said.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR