A Leavenworth woman died as a result of a fire at a duplex apartment, a Fire Department spokesman said.

A Leavenworth woman died as a result of a fire at a duplex apartment, a Fire Department spokesman said.

The fire was reported at 7:46 a.m. Monday at 509 Vilas St.

Mark DeMaranville, division chief of prevention for the Leavenworth Fire Department, said the fire started in an attached garage and spread into the apartment.

A man and woman were in the apartment at the time. The man was able to get out of the apartment on his own. Firefighters pulled the woman from the apartment, DeMaranville said.

The woman was transported to the hospital by Leavenworth County EMS and she later died.

The man later went to the hospital in a private vehicle.

An occupant of the neighboring duplex apartment at 511 Vilas St. was not injured.

Two members of the Leavenworth Fire Department were injured at the scene.

One firefighter suffered minor smoke inhalation when the face piece of his self-contained breathing apparatus was jarred.

“And the seal broke on the face piece,” DeMaranville said.

The firefighter was able to reseal the face piece.

He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Another firefighter suffered a foot injury.

“He sought medical treatment later,” DeMaranville said.

Members of the Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1 responded to the scene to assist the Leavenworth Fire Department. And members of the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department were asked to stand by, DeMaranville said.

DeMaranville said it did not take firefighters long to “knock down” the flames. The fire resulted in an estimated $85,000 in damage.

Firefighters have not yet determined the cause of the fire. But DeMaranville said there are no signs that the fire was the result of criminal activity.

“We’re still investigating it,” he said.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR