A modular home near Basehor is considered a total loss following a fire, a fire department spokesman said.

A modular home near Basehor is considered a total loss following a fire, a fire department spokesman said.

The fire was reported at 7:07 p.m. Friday at 17359 State Ave., which also is U.S. 24-40. No injuries were reported.

Chuck Magaha, chief of the Fairmount Township Fire Department, said the doublewide modular home had been vacant with no utilities turned on. But the owner apparently was allowing people to stay there overnight. The occupants attempted to use a wood burning stove in the structure.

Magaha said there may not have been any maintenance performed on the stove in a number of years. And the use of the stove resulted in the ceiling of the structure catching fire.

The occupants were able to make it safely out of the home.

In addition to the Fairmount Township Fire Department, firefighters from Sherman, Stranger and Tonganoxie townships responded as well as members of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1.