A man was killed Monday night in a house fire in Lansing, a fire department official said.

A man was killed Monday night in a house fire in Lansing, a fire department official said.

The fire was reported at 8:16 p.m. at a two-story house at 24431 139th St. The fire was reported by a passerby.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, there was heavy fire on the home’s first floor venting to the outside, according to Todd Farley, chief of Leavenworth County Fire District No. 1.

He said firefighters started attacking the blaze from outside of the house. Crews were then were sent inside the home to conduct a search.

Farley said firefighters had received an indication that there may have been someone inside of the residence.

The chief called the search “a very aggressive firefighting effort.”

“They had fairly significant fire conditions inside,” he said.

Firefighters located a man during the search and removed him from the house.

“Unfortunately, he had succumbed to the heat and smoke and had died,” Farley said.

The man’s name has not been released.

Once firefighters had removed the man from the house, the fire intensified.

“For the safety of our personnel, we had to pull everybody outside,” Farley said.

He said firefighters then battled the blaze from outside of the structure. It later was determined to be safe enough for them to go back inside of the house.

Farley said it probably took about an hour for firefighters to get the blaze under control.

He said there were many household items within the home that provided a lot of fuel to the fire.

Members of the Fairmount Township Fire Department also responded to the fire.

Leavenworth County EMS personnel checked the firefighters who had been involved in the search. No injuries were reported among the firefighters.

Representatives of the American Red Cross responded to the scene and provided canteen services.

Firefighters returned to the scene Tuesday morning to look for and extinguish additional “hot spots,” Farley said.

The Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the fire. Farley said the investigation likely will take some time.

Twitter: @LVTNewsJohnR