A Tonganoxie nursing home was evacuated Monday morning because of carbon monoxide, according to the fire chief.

A Tonganoxie nursing home was evacuated Monday morning because of carbon monoxide, according to the fire chief.

Members of the Tonganoxie Fire Department determined that the presence of carbon monoxide inside Legend Healthcare, 1010 East St., warranted the evacuation, according to a news release from Fire Chief Chief John Zimbelman.

Sixty-eight residents of the facility as well as staff members were evacuated to an area church. Members of Leavenworth County EMS, the Lawrence Fire Department, Kansas City, Kansas, Fire Department and other surrounding agencies assisted with the evacuation.

Shortly after 4 p.m., Zimbelman reported that "everything was clear" and all of the residents had returned to the facility. He said the carbon monoxide problem appeared to have been the result of a faulty furnace.